Technical Assistance for Georgia Transport Connectivity (GTC) – Phase 1
Improved road networks are a key element in economic development, creating connections between people and allowing exchanges and trade both within and outside the country.
This technical assistance project works with the Government of Georgia and supports road infrastructure development. It lays the groundwork for new and safer roads to be built throughout Georgia in the years to come
More specifically, the project:
- Prepares technical studies necessary for new investments in the Georgian road network. This also includes environment and social assessments.
- Selects priority blackspots located nearby along the East West Highway for their management, with a focus on the vicinities of the projects to be financed by the EU Bank EIB under Georgia Transport Connectivity Framework Loan operation, in order to fully seize the benefits of such operation
- Provides capacity-building and training to the staff of the Roads Department to support the implementation of Georgia's national road programme;
- Conducts feasibility and design studies necessary to eliminate accident-prone road sections.
To contribute to the efforts of the Government of Georgia to significantly reduce rate of accidents, injury, and death associated with road transport in Georgia through prioritization and improvement of blackspots located nearby along the extended TEN-T network in Georgia
- Identified and prioritised blackspots (including road safety inspections) on the roads administered by the Road Department, located nearby along the extended Trans-European Transport Network (TEN-T) in Georgia;
- Detailed designs (including road safety audits) and tender documents in place for the future road safety investments;
- Improved technical and administrative skills of Promoter staff in the development, evaluation, implementation, monitoring and supervision of major investments in the road sector;
- Increased awareness on achievement of social development objectives of the Land Acquisition and Resettlement Action Plan.