Establishment of Vashvlovani Biosphere Reserve in Kakheti region as model for inclusive and sustainable growth
As part of EU’s efforts to support Georgia in environmental protection this project works with local governments to ensure sustainable management of natural resources, and provide better services to local citizenry and visitors. The project works with local authorities of Dedoplistskaro Municipality and local interest groups to ensure better coordination of the efforts and building systems through the principles of participation and transparency.
EU has already provided support to Vashlovani Biosphere Reserve, one of the most beautiful landscapes of Georgia, which received European Diploma for Protected Areas for its preservation of biological, geological and landscape diversity.
Establishment of Vashlovani Biosphere Reserve in Kakheti region as a model for inclusive and sustainable growth at local level, with increased role and participation of local authorities in multilevel governance and cross-scale coordination between national, regional and local levels.
- Increased capacity of local government in multilevel governance and cross-scale coordination between national, regional and local levels for sustainable management of planned Biosphere Reserve’s common-pool natural resources .
- Established and functional multi-stakeholder cooperation platform and its municipal working group to support elaboration of legal and institutional framework for establishment and further management of Vashlovani Biosphere Reserve in Kakheti region.
- Developed legal and institutional framework documents for establishment and further management of Biosphere Reserve in Kakheti region.
- User-friendly database developed for local authorities, which serves as a data-gathering and analytical instrument involving different sectors of social and economic development to be further used for participatory and inclusive decision-making for the Biosphere Reserve establishment and further management process.
- Increased awareness of local civil society actors, interested groups, farmers and citizens to better understand and be able to influence the work of local authorities for equitable and adequate natural resource sharing in Biosphere Reserve.